Monday, October 18, 2010

First Day of Physical Therapy

Today was my first physiotherapy session and also my first time out of the house since the surgery. Felt great to be outside and the physio is only located a few blocks away in a cab.

During the session he measures my range of motion (73 degrees) and does some passive movement on my knee to loosen it up. The main thing is straightening the leg to zero degrees. Not there yet (about 3 degrees) but have exercises now to improve.

Also started electrical stimulation in the knee. This helps to get my quads to "fire". Two different settings, one which makes my quad contract repeatedly with an ice pack on my knee. Second setting where busts or current are passed through my knee as I flex my quads at the same time. This will help get the muscles and brain going again, getting used to using the muscle. Will post a picture soon.

The physio seems to know exactly what he's doing and has also rehabbed a few other patients operated on by my surgeon. This is definitely comforting, specially at the end when he says he's seen this a bunch of times before and that everything will be fine.

Current daily regimen is:
- 100 leg raises
- 100 passive knee bends
- 100 quad bursts
- 100 heel slides

No painkillers for the first time today even with the physio, so far so good. Still icing like crazy with the Game Ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment