Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Accident

So most people who tear their ACL do it while playing sports with "cutting" movements involving sharp changes in direction such as Basketball, American Football or Soccer as in my case. I'd like to tell you I went down in a blaze of glory being tackled by 3 defenders but alas there was no one even close to me when it happened!

I usually shoot with my left foot but I found myself in front of goal with the ball sitting up on my right side. As I went to lash the ball into the top corner of the goal *cough* I pivoted on and extended my left leg full stretch to shoot with my right. As I went to shoot my left leg buckled "the wrong way" and felt my knee dislocate and twist with a "pop".

I have to say that even though I'd had the dislocated feeling I also felt everything get pulled back into place and though that maybe I'd been lucky and got away with a twisted knee and a few weeks on the sidelines. It wasn't until a team mate told me about his previous ACL injury that I thought there might be a problem. According to him the "pop" was probably my ACL........

Got a ride home from the field but walking around my apartment felt weird. Knee felt weak and unstable and also nearly buckled on me a couple of times, though thankfully only the "right way" this time.


Urban Soccer League Champions, Summer Season 2010
(I'm at the back, last one on the right. Also, last known picture of uninjured left knee!)

No comments:

Post a Comment